What is the Ontario Camps Association?
The Ontario Camps Association (OCA) was formed in 1933 by a community of camp professionals with the goal of promoting quality and safe camp experiences within the industry. Camp provides opportunities for development in children and adults that cannot be learned elsewhere – powerful lessons in community, character-building, skill development, healthy living; lessons that are essential in building lifelong success.
As a leading authority in youth and adult development, the OCA continues to provide current information to the camping community to improve the camp experience for all. The Association is made up of 450+ Accredited Camps plus camps working towards accreditation and is committed to helping camps provide:
- Safe and nurturing environments
- Programming excellence and skill development with continuous opportunities for self-improvement
- Caring, inclusive and qualified adult role models
- Opportunities for leadership and personal growth
- Healthy, developmentally appropriate experiences
- Understanding and commitment to their communities-at-large and the natural world
- Discovery, experiential education, and learning opportunities as an individual and team member
The OCA remains focused on safety through Year-round Standards and Standards Visits every four years along with quality assurance of camp programs through on-going educational workshops, professional development and conferences. All Accredited Camps proudly display the OCA Accredited Camp logo, the Stamp of a Great Camp, illustrating that they continuously meet industry standards with the utmost safety and care of campers, staff, parents, guardians and sponsors in mind. All OCA Accredited Camps are Camps Parents Trust.