International Staff

Effective and quality staff are the most important asset of a successful camp or outdoor/experiential education organization. Successful travel, training and work experiences in the field of outdoor/experiential education will have the following positive impacts on an individual. Working with a team, you will develop valuable teaching, communication and leadership skills that you will use in other employment, parenting or relationship building experiences in the future.

You will:

  • learn how to develop healthy communities by teaching children how to interact respectfully, care for one another compassionately, solve problems and accomplish goals as a team
  • benefit from exchanging cultures, experiencing a new country and becoming a member of a new extended camp family
  • enhance your wellbeing by spending time in nature as it will refresh you and those around you
  • be more fit, living a physically active life
  • develop skills for testing your own limits, making challenging decisions and communicating to small and large groups of people
  • develop a stronger sense of self-confidence and self-esteem

Working Holiday Visa

In general, a Working Holiday Visa allows you to work and travel more casually in Canada. Most staff choose this over a Work Permit as it allows them the flexibility to travel before or after camp, or work elsewhere in Canada during their stay.

Citizens of the following countries are eligible, if you meet certain country-specific criteria, for a Working Holiday Visa:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the United Kingdom.

Citizens of the United States: Please contact the camp where you are thinking of being employed to inquire about what you’ll need to do to work in Canada

Age limits are from 18-30 for most countries; 18-35 for citizens of Chile, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland and Switzerland. Some countries’ programs specify that the applicant must be a full-time student; others do not, and some have separate programs for students and non-students. The type of work allowed and the maximum duration of stay depends on the applicant’s country of residence.

Canadian Work Permits/Visas

In cases where you’re unable to get a Working Holiday Visa, you’ll need to get a Work Permit/Visa. We suggest you contact the Canadian Embassy in your country to find out what you’ll need to work in Canada.

If you find that you do need a Temporary Work Permit to work in Canada, please keep in mind that these take time to process. In some cases, these processing times might make it impossible to work at camp. Further valuable information can be found at: Check with the Canadian Embassy in your country.